Body Sense

AUTUMN | 2018

Issue link: https://www.bodysensemagazinedigital.com/i/1029245

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 5 of 15

6 Body Sense Are you a weekend-warrior, self-proclaimed athlete, or someone who just generally likes to push themselves a little too hard at the gym? Then, sports massage might be just what the body ordered. We all know physical activity generates positive health benefits for your body, but it can also create negative effects that arise when you push past your physical limit. That's when you show up on our massage tables with injuries related to this overexertion. THE ATHLETE IN ALL OF US Olympic, collegiate, and professional athletes utilize massage therapy to mitigate and recover from sports injuries. Oftentimes, teams employ and even travel with a massage therapist. And research continues to show what athletes already know—massage has a positive effect on athletes and their performance. 1 The benefits of sports massage extend beyond professional athletes to anyone who participates in regular exercise. Whether it be golf, tennis, or ballroom dancing, if you engage in physical exercise, sports massage is a good option for you. And, if you suffer from a nagging injury or orthopedic condition that keeps you from performing at your best, sports massage is especially helpful. KINDS OF SPORTS MASSAGE Did you know that about 65 percent of injuries—both athletic and lifestyle- related—come from overuse of musculature? The other 35 percent are caused by true trauma. 2 Sports massage is a customized, targeted approach to improving performance while decreasing Is Sports Massage Right for You? By Eric Stephenson, LMT 6 Body Sense

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Body Sense - AUTUMN | 2018